My life in words (and pictures)... as a wife, momma, teacher, techie nerd, foodie, and trivia geek.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pantry Challenge Days... 10-16?!

Has it really been a week since I updated the challenge?!  Surely not... hm.  Well, let's see what I can remember.  I know we've been doing pretty good eating from the freezer and pantry, when I've been home.

Last Wednesday, Day 10 - Hubby cooked!  He got a bag of frozen chicken (thighs, with the bone in and skin still on) and skillet-cooked it with some chili lime sauce and olive oil.  We had steamed broccoli (from the freezer) and a packet of Lipton Rice Sides, the taco rice or Spanish rice flavor.  Yum.

Thursday, Day 11 - Hubby went out of town to teach other officers driving procedures, and the Boy and I stayed at Nana and Papa's.  Nana cooked (have I mentioned she's the queen of throw-it-together last-minute amazing pantry and freezer meals?) and we had a Bisquick pie thing (can't remember what it was called, impossible something...) with ground turkey.  It was really good, and reminded me a little of breakfast quiche.

Friday, Day 12 - Went to visit a friend Friday afternoon at her house with the Girls, visited for a bit, then grabbed Whataburger on the way home with the Boy... Hubby didn't get home from his trip until right at bedtime, and I didn't feel like cooking for just myself.  The boy had grilled chicken and he stole some of my fries.

Saturday, Day 13 - Spent the day bargain-hunting for clothes for this new baby girl we've got coming (found some great stuff really cheap!) with Hubby, the Boy, and the Mother-in-Law... honestly, we can't remember what we did for dinner that night.  I'm sure we ate something... I just can't remember what!

Sunday, Day 14 - Hubby and I had a piece of chicken, dark meat, since that's what I was cooking for the Boy.  I usually cook a whole package of chicken for the Boy's meals at once, put it in freezer containers with veggies and sometimes pasta (or whatever I decide, sometimes it's casserole-style, sometimes it's more like vegetable and meat goulash, sometimes it's just random healthy finger foods he likes mixed together), and when it's time for him to eat, we can just pop one in the microwave for a minute or so and his meal is taken care of.  Anyway, I was making a pack of chicken for him in the skillet, with the rest of the lime marinade/sauce Hubby used on Wednesday, and boiling some pasta to put with it.  Pressed for time and feeling lazy, Hubby and I just had a piece of the chicken and didn't make a single thing to go with it.  I'm sure he had cookies later for dessert, and I think I had some milk and a brownie later (Little Debbie, guilty pleasure... homemade are so much better, but I can't help buying the cheapo Little Debbie ones every now and then).

Oh, and I cut my fingers.  Ha.  While chopping up the cooked chicken for the Boy, somehow the knife slipped and I dropped it.  I knew better than to grab for it to catch it, and was concerned about getting my bare feet out of it's way on the way down, and somehow it caught the back of my left hand and cut my pinkie, ring finger, and middle finger.  Nothing major, no stitches or anything, but I did cut the whole cuticle or nailbed or whatever you call it at the base of my fingernail on my middle finger... I really hope my fingernail doesn't fall off.  Gross.

Monday, Day 15 - CHEAT!  We had Culver's for dinner (burgers, fries, and frozen custard... the works) after a quick trip to Target... I felt guilty about it, but not guilty enough to go home and cook.

Tuesday (today), Day 16 - I had a freezer meal I got out (marked on the bag as Beef & Pepper Rice, add 3 cups water)... It was meant to be a crock pot meal, but when I found it I decided it would do just fine (and be pretty fast, since the meat was already cooked) to put it in a large pot with the water and let it cook down quickly like that.  It was... mushy.  The flavor was good, once I added some Penzey's Seasoned Salt, but it didn't cook down to be like a rice and meat dish, like it would have if I'd made the two separately and then just put them on the plate together and mixed them up.  Oh well.  It was food.  The Boy took a few bites and decided he just wanted to play with it, so he had some whole fat vanilla organic yogurt (yum) so I wouldn't feel like he'd starve.  I toyed with the idea of putting our "goulash" on potatoes, or bread, or something, but it didn't happen, and we just ate it with spoons and put our plates away.

No pictures... I'm lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment